Does Your Ex Let His Girlfriend Sleep Over While Your Kids Are Visiting?

Dealing with your ex’s new girlfriend is hard enough, but finding out she is sleeping over your ex’s house while your kids are visiting can be too much to bear. The thought of another woman playing mommy to your kids for the weekend can fill you with rage, especially if you are in the early stages of your divorce and you have not had a chance to mourn the death of your marriage and work through all of the emotions divorce stirs up. It is even worse if the woman in your ex’s life is the same woman who broke up your marriage.

During my own divorce my ex’s mistress moved into his house. He had the kids for overnight visitation every other weekend and she was there, spending time with my children. Although it bothered me, I initially tried to accept the situation and give her a chance. That was until my youngest daughter, who was only about 6 at the time, came home and told me that she had slept in the same bed with this woman. Naturally, I was upset and called my lawyer. I was told that unless his girlfriend was a danger to my children, he was within his rights to have her sleep over when the children were there. I did however instruct my ex that under no cirumstances was my daughter to share a bed with his girlfriend.

Thankfully, my ex eventually broke up with his woman. If you are uncomfortable with your ex’s girlfriend sleeping over while your children are present there is very little you can do legally. You can try talking to your ex and setting rules and boundaries. Can they not share the same bed while your kids are there? Is it possible for her to sleep at a friend’s or relative’s house or if she does not live with your ex, stay at her own home during visitations? As difficult as it is for you to have the ex’s girlfriend sleeping over while your kids are there, imagine how the kids must feel.

They have already been through their parent’s divorce and it will take time for them to accept a new mate for either of their parents. The best way to introduce a new partner to take it slow. If your ex refuses to cooperate, then it is your job to explain to the kids about their Dad’s new love and help them work through any conflicting emotions. Then, in private, it is your turn to deal with the painful emotions this situation has caused. Feelings like anger, resentment, jealousy, and not wanting your ex to be happy are perfectly normal. Do not try and suppress them. Work through them and then try and let them go.

Eventually you will reach a place where you can accept your ex’s new girlfriend in your children’s lives as long as she treats them well and is a positive role model. Find out the three things you must know to have a successful divorce outcome…

actually, there is something you can do…it’s a little thing called a morals/morality clause.there are several wordings to it -neither parent will have a member of the opposite sex, unless related by blood or marriage, around the children during overnight visitationorno one of the opposite sex can be around the children unless related by blood or marriage between 12am until 6amit can be in your temporary orders and in your permanent orders. There is no judge in the country that will not insert it if requested by either parent as it is in the best interest of the children and they are dealing with the divorce as it is. With this clause in place, you can bring contempt charges if violated. I’m a family law attorney

Wow, I wish I had known this. I would have had it inserted into my order. My lawyer never mentioned such a clause. It sure would have saved me a lot of heartache. It sure would have saved me a lot of heartache. Thanks so much for posting this.

Yes, Sounds like you need that clause…

So when you find a new man, then your not going to have him around your child???

What can be done if you custody agreement/divorce petition state no sleepovers but our ex is having “other woman” sleep over while kids are there. AND is telling children to lie