Five Steps to Help you as You Try to Collect Child Support from your Ex

Collecting child support can be one of the most difficult aspects of divorce. If you are struggling in this area, there are steps you can take. Here’s what you can do to get the money your child needs.

1. Contact your state’s child support agency.

The agency can help you get a child support order. Go to the Office of Child Support Enforcement Web site  for details.

2. Gather information.

Get the name, address and Social Security number and the most recent employer of your former spouse to your local child support agency to track proof of income.

3. Don’t give up.

Keep working through your local child support enforcement agency. Complain to a supervisor that you’re not getting anywhere. The National Coalition for Child Support Options has links to reach government officials.

4. Learn about the costs.

Fees vary from state to state to track a delinquent parent. Some states deduct the costs of finding the parent from the child support payments.

5. If all else fails, go to court.

Parents can file criminal charges against a delinquent spouse. Contact your local prosecutor’s office.